Thursday, May 18, 2006

Broadbent Closes Chapter on Internationals

By Netball Australia

Two-time Commonwealth Games netball representative, Alison Broadbent has announced her retirement from international netball today, Thursday May 11, bringing to an end her five year career with the Australian Netball Team.
Broadbent, who lives on the Central Coast of New South Wales, made her international debut in March 2001 and has since represented Australia on 35 occasions.
“I have achieved everything I wanted to achieve in netball,” said Broadbent. “I have been to two Commonwealth Games and a World Netball Championships, which is something young netballers dream about doing.”
“I would have to say the highlight of my career would definitely be winning the Commonwealth Games Silver Medal in Melbourne in front of my family and friends.”
In 1993 Broadbent was named in the Australian 21U Team. It was later that same year during the National Netball Championships that Broadbent suffered her first knee injury requiring reconstructive surgery, an injury that she again suffered in 1995.
With relentless determination Broadbent worked at regaining her fitness, strength and speed and in 1999 she was selected in the Australian Open Squad.
“I am not going to give netball away completely but feel that now is the right time to say goodbye to the Australian Team,” said Broadbent. “I’ll continue to play with the Sydney TAB Swifts and will focus on winning another Commonwealth Bank Trophy premiership.”
For more click here

No comments: